Student Reviews

Litcham Primary Reading Group ‘The Book Bandits’ – Students views and comments

Radio Boy by Christian O’Connell

Loader Loading...
EAD Logo Taking too long?

Reload Reload document
| Open Open in new tab

Download

About the author Christian O’Connell by Niamh Year 6

Loader Loading...
EAD Logo Taking too long?

Reload Reload document
| Open Open in new tab

Key word description of Radio Boy by the Book Bandits-ydvhrw

Bubble Boy by Stewart Foster

We all really enjoyed reading the Bubble Boy, and eating our themed cakes whilst we discussed the book.

We gave it a group average score of 3.75 out of 5.

Bubble Boy was a very interesting book because I’ve never read a book about someone that has been in a hospital all their life. It was sad when Henry and Snookerball kid died though. Holly, Year 6

5 FACTS ABOUT AUTHOR STUART FOSTER

by Abigail  Y6

Q How long has he been writing for?

A Since 2001, 16 years!

Q Does he have any family?

A Two Daughters.

Q Where does he live?

A Bath.

Q Has he written any other books

A Yes ‘All the things that could go wrong’ & ‘We used to be Kings’

Beeston Primary Reading Group  – Students views and comments

Welcome to Nowhere by Elizabeth Laird

What do you think of the book so far?

Joe: I thought the book was very intriguing. It is based on real events. The war in Syria is still underway unfortunately and the book had some very good descriptions. It talks about shelling, shootings, riots and other unfortunate events.

Thomas: I agree with Joe, it’s intriguing. The start really pulls you in and you really want to read it. There are lots of ups and downs. It does have lots of characters in it, so it does get quite confusing in places.

Alisha: I

agree with them. It’s sad and it goes up and down. It gives you mixed emotions. It’s sad when the buildings get destroyed and when Omar gets bullied. It was emotional when Omar eventually goes to England.

Harry: I thought the book was quite emotional: parents and children crying, gunshots and buildings destroyed. I thought it was a little bit boring. There was too much description in places and you wanted the book to move on. I felt a little bit happy when they became safe – but as they felt sad, I felt sad.

Joe: It was a strong book.

Would you recommend it to a friend?

Joe: Only if they are interested in the Syrian war.

What is your stand-out moment so far?

Harry: When Nadia died.

Alisha: When Omar went to England.

Thomas: When they were hiding in an alleyway and they could hear shooting.

Joe: When their flat gets shelled and collapses.

Review by Amelia Year 10, Litcham secondary phase

I was lucky enough recently to read a proof copy of Elizabeth Laird’s book “Welcome to Nowhere.” The book tells the plight of Omar and his family as they try to escape Syria and make a new home for themselves. The refugee crisis has been constantly on our screens this year, with 50 refugee families being relocated to Norwich in the next few weeks. The news about the refugee crisis has been saddening and also very complicated. I feel that if you are 9+ (the age range the book is targeted at) this book will help you to make sense of the crisis. The book is incredibly powerful. It is bleak but so uplifting. One of the things that really struck me about the book was how it attempts (successfully) to portray Omar as a child like you and me. He hates school, argues with his siblings and loves playing football. Laird I feel is trying to fight the perception that refugees are different people, greatly distanced from us. One of the things I found interesting was how at the beginning of the book Syria seemed like an almost perfect home. You feel like this could be the UK. I liked how Omar’s family members are very different. Unlike other refugee inspired books I have read they are not perfect. They don’t get along. They have conflicting views. I really liked this because it made the family much more realistic. I could relate to them. Omar’s father was an interesting character. He was supporter of the government and clashed with his children. Laird did this to show how families have become divided by Syria’s civil war but also to highlight the turmoil Syrian civilians must have felt when their own government attacked them. I think it really shows what refugees can achieve in the right situation. Fleeing Syria is terrible but it allows Omar’s brother to fight the stigma of his disability and his sister to escape from a loveless marriage. Good things can be achieved from terrible happenings. One part of the book that really shocked me was the description of the refugee camp. I, and I suspect many others, had always believed camps to be safe havens for refugees. The book was illuminating as it showed the hardship of these refugee camps. I was really struck by how easy it was for children to get sucked into crime and gangs. The book also showed how lonely the camps can make a person feel. It really struck me how hard it must be to lose all your culture and tradition in a single second. I absolutely loved reading this book. It is a powerful book that is a strong advocate for the importance of empathy. I think the book helped show me who refugees are: not in fact refugees but people. I feel that as a result of this book I am more connected to those like Omar. This book really reiterates the ideal that we are more alike than we know. I urge schools and libraries to use this book to show children the importance of kindness and empathy. As Elizabeth Laird eloquently put it herself, we are the main characters in any refugee’s story. Happy or sad.