Infernal Devices Trilogy by Cassandra Claire – A review by Millie Year 11

This trilogy is set in London, England 1878, a short time after the peace treaties between Shadowhunters and Downworlders have been signed. The first book in the series is called Clockwork Angel and it begins to follow the story of an orphaned teenager named Theresa (Tessa) Gray, who lives in New York, America with her Aunt.

It begins with Tessa arriving in London to live with her brother Nathaniel (Nate) Gray after the death of their Aunt Harriet.When she gets off the boat she is not met by her brother but two sisters named Mrs Black and Mrs Dark along a note signed by her brother confirming that he is acquainted with the sisters that he nicknames the ‘Dark sisters’. The Dark sisters turn out to have kidnapped Tessa in pursuit of awakening a power that lies within her and force her to cooperate by holding her brother hostage. Once her shape-shifting power has been awakened and perfected the sisters inform Tessa that she is to marry a man who goes by the name ‘The Magister’ (Latin for Master). At the last minute she is rescued by a man of around her age named William Herondale who claims to be a ‘Shadowhunter’, a being that hunts and kills demons to protect the mundane (human) world. He takes her to the London Institute (a safe haven for Shadowhunters to stay in), where she meets the small community of Shadowhunters that live there. Everything she knows is turned upside-down as she is introduced to this other world of demons, downworlders (vampires, werewolves, warlocks etc.) and Shadowhunters. What will happen when she falls for one, or two of them? Who will she choose? Will she ever find and reunite with her brother Nate?

I find the whole trilogy to be extremely hilarious and heart-warming yet serious and tragic at the same time. The characters that Clare creates are funny, strong and extremely adorable and easy to become attached to! When I read the book I physically couldn’t put it down! I have read the series many, many times after and each time it has been just as enticing. I have laughed, cried, worried and smiled along with these characters more times than I can count and I can never get bored, never mind prepare myself for all the shocks and laughs I continue to fall victim to each time I open the book. After reading both the Infernal Devices and the Mortal Instruments franchises you will find yourself squealing and giggling at all the similarities and references to the characters as the Mortal Instruments–follows the story of the distant ancestors of the Infernal Devices characters. I find my favorite to be the hatred of ducks that all of the Herondale line seem to contain.

If you like books like Harry Potter, Jackson and Narnia you will for sure love these books! But even if you enjoy romance stories that are like The Hunger Games or Divergent or any romance you will adore them! I recommend them along with all of the books that Cassandra Clare has written extremely highly!