Fangirl: A Review by Eli Year 11

Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell

Urban Dictionary: a rabid breed of human female who is obsessed with either a fictional character or actor. Similar to the breed of fanboy. Fangirls congregate at animé conventions and livejournal. Have been know to glomp, grote and tackle said obsessions.

I must say, we have all been there. Loving a book to the point of spontanious combustion. Well in Fangirl, our main protagonist and the head we reside in, Cather is basically us. Unable to get a grip on human and actual life, she finds herself entrapped in the world of fanfiction and fanart. It starts with Cather going to university with her twin sister Wren, where it suddenly becomes obvious that she has better ideas that staying up late discussing/writing fanfiction about a vampire and its arch enemy wizard. She suddenly finds herself friendless, drowing in school work, and trying to impress the creative writing teacher. Sounds all fine and dandy, well the last point that is, except she just can’t stop writing two characters that just aren’t hers. Enter Levi, her roommates best friend and ex, who actually can kinda get her and her uncool obsessions. He teaches her that writing fanfiction is totally acceptable, yet being in the real world is just as great.

I love this book. How it teaches you to embrace your geeky side, and how that great. Its full of emotion with just the correct amount of funny. In a way, this is me fangirling over FANGIRL! I would rate this book 9/10 just because of how amazing it is and how it puts a different perspective on other people. This book is perfect for anyone and everyone!