If I Stay by Gayle Foreman – an all time favourite read. By Amelia H, Year 11

If I Stay by Gayle Forman, is narrated by Mia, a young teenage girl. The reader follows her out of body experience in the 24 hours after a horrific car crash. Mia has to come to terms with what just happened, and who she has lost and also who will never leave her side.

The story takes us through not only what Mia is going through, but to flashbacks of her life before the accident. We get to know her Mum, Dad and little brother Teddy, as well as her best friend Kim, boyfriend Adam and family friends Henry and Willow.

Music is such a huge part of the story and is what bought Adam and Mia together and also what bought Mia’s parents together as well. Mia plays the cello and Adam plays in a rock band much like Mia’s father when she was little. Mia gets an audition to Jilliard, a fantastic music school, but in order to go will have to leave Adam behind and pursue her music in New York.

This is an incredibly emotional read. It makes you cry at times but can also be very uplifting. It is about love and friendship and although some of Mia’s family have gone she still has a family even if they aren’t related.

I would definitely recommend this book, and I think it is probably my favourite book I have ever read. Once I started reading it I couldn’t stop. I read it in a couple of days!